Moosehead Marine Museum
The Moosehead Marine Museum’s historic cruise boat, the Katahdin, is a national historic landmark and a remnant of the logging days that links the present Moosehead culture to its important and historic past. Originally a steamboat, built in 1914 at Bath Iron Works, the vessel was later converted to diesel. This vessel is the main attraction of the Museum’s collection of marine memorabilia of the Moosehead area. This museum houses the region’s most extensive compilation of photos and documents related to the marine traffic on Moosehead, Maine’s largest lake.
The Katahdin offers regularly scheduled cruises from late June through early October. The narration provided on the cruise helps visitors to understand the history and culture of the North Maine Woods. The vessel is available for chartered cruises and events.
Maine Forest and Logging Museum – Leonard’s Mills
Leonard’s Mills is the centerpiece of the Maine Forest and Logging Museum, which is dedicated to keeping alive the forest industry of log ago for the present-day citizens of the State of Maine. Located on an actual site of an early pioneer settlement, the museum is represented by an authentic reconstruction of a logging and milling community of the 1790s. Through the living history site at Leonard’s Mills, the museum teaches people of all ages about the forest and logging history of Maine.
This museum is unique, in that it combines an interactive Living History format (with volunteers dressed in the clothing of the period) with an operating “up-and-down” sawmill, and a variety of other interpretative sites that include an authentic blacksmith shop, bateaux, trappers’ line camp, and a settlers’ log cabin.
The public is invited to participate in a variety of activities or enjoy hiking nature trails that are throughout the adjacent forest.
The Curran Homestead
The Curran Homestead Project is the result of the desires expressed in the will of the late Mary Katherine Curran. The family operated a turn-of-the-century subsistence farm whose animals, crops, and woodlot provided the family with food, shelter, heat and enough cash to provide the necessities, including something to be saved for a rainy day.
The Living History Farm and Museum was created incorporating the house, barn and related buildings with approximately thirty-five acres overlooking Fields Pond, the core of the original homestead. A separate tract of land on the pond side of Fields Pond is managed by the Maine Audubon Society.
Page Farm and Home Museum
Thousands of patrons come to the Page Farm and Home Museum each year to learn about the industry, agriculture, economy, and home-life of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The restored White Farm barn, a post and beam structure, is the centerpiece of the Museum. A restored one-room schoolhouse from Holden, used by students from 1855 to 1955, was moved to the Museum grounds in 1994. Heirloom varieties of herbs, flowers, and vegetables that were grown from 1865 to 1940 are cultivated here.
The Museum has become home for the state's most important collection of farm technologies and artifacts of rural culture. The Museum assures that future generations will be able to gain valuable and practical insights into Maine's rural past. The Museum offers a variety of educational programs for young people from preschool to college age, the largest proportion coming from area public schools.